martedì 30 ottobre 2012

A new sun rises on New York City

I don't know what people do on hurricane days. I cook tacos.
I woke up this morning and I was in a different city. I'm not sure I'll be able to explain myself. You just have to see it. You have to see the streets of New York City suddenly empty:
And trees standing on sidewalks that areactually not trees, but huge branches that were torn apart and flew on the streets until the wind let them fall and lean on something:

And then the crane on 57th:
We were so lucky here, but Downtown is a mess. I couldn't go and check by myself cause the subway is flooded. I could walk just till Times Square and there were people on the red stairs over TKTS singing "New York New York" and raising money for the Red Cross.
It was moving. And very American. 
This is exactly what I love about the US. Ok, this is also what leads to a lot of flaws. I mean this strong patriotism, when declined in other situations, is what makes them think they have this duty to rule the world.
But in different times, like today, it makes you feel part of something special. It makes you feel connected to all these people, in the very heart of this beautiful city.

We saw dramatic pictures on TV last night and more today. But nobody is really worried about New York, nobody raised a doubt about its strenght. 
Still:

This was Ground Zero. 
Quite impressive.




Nessun commento:

Posta un commento